Friday, September 8, 2017

Instructional Coaching: This One's Philosophy

As a part of our Instructional Coaching team meetings, time is set aside to reflect and journal. This months reflection is to write about our personal philosophy of coaching. I'm not sure that it is formal enough to consider a "philosophy" but there are certain beliefs that I hold that I feel has guided my role as an instructional coach.

I am a teacher first and foremost- When I work with other teachers, I want them to know that I view them as a peer and that we are partners on a learning journey. I want them to feel safe and not judged during our discussions. I want to be able to explore lots of ideas with them as they develop their personal journey of professional growth.

Instructional coaching is a process- it is not a one and done. It is cyclical and starts with a problem or goal that is determined by the teacher. It is an iterative process.

It is teacher driven- It comes from a teachers desire to improve their craft and who willingly seeks a professional partner to help them learn and improve their practice.

Trust is essential- I am not their supervisor, what we work on together is not shared without their permission. But when they are doing amazing work, I encourage them to share with others to spread the energy and build their professional learning community.



No comments:

Post a Comment