Monday, October 30, 2017

How do I measure my effectiveness?

This is a topic that weighs on me constantly. I'm working hard, I'm always busy but am I effective in my job? What does effectiveness look like and sound like for me? Too often I'm simply looking at how many things I'm getting crossed off of my to do list. Although that relieves some stress and makes me feel productive it does not bring me the joy of feeling like what I have done has made a difference in the life of someone else.

Ultimately I what to have an impact on improved student academic achievement and agency over their learning. Because I don't have direct contact with students, I must help teachers improve their instructional models.

From a practical standpoint I measure this by the feedback I get from teachers. In my conversations with them when planning or reviewing data, they are able to tell me the benefits (or lack of) what they are seeing as they implement strategies I'm coaching them on. I either leave a meeting feeling positive and upbeat that teachers are seeing increases in student achievement and agency or I leave deflated and pondering new solutions. Although this is not hard evidence of effectiveness, it is a dipstick and helps me to improve and iterate.

No comments:

Post a Comment